Skip to main content

Week 3 Part 1

On Tuesday and today, we went out to communities with the food bank! Today's visit was to the community called Francisco Villa. There was a great turn out - 41 families showed up to the meeting. The purpose was to distribute cards to the families that they will need in order to get food from the food bank. The food pickups are organized so that every family does not need to receive transportation to the food bank facility. So, today there was also the nomination of a President, Secretary, etc. for the Francisco Villa food bank community. The president will pick up the food for the community and distribute accordingly (the first pickup date for this community is on August 2nd). It was a great experience to see the people that are directly affected by the food bank. I got to play with some kids while the meeting was going on. It was really funny - I was talking to these little girls while I was sitting down. Immediately as I stood up, the girls looked at me in awe. They started calling me "gigante" and "girafe" as they were blown away by my height. I am really glad that I got the chance to go the community because it makes all that we are doing at the food bank more meaningful.

Something that I have recognized over the past few weeks is the importance of being exposed to different cultures and lifestyles. I have learned so much from the people here in Merida even though I do not always understand what they are saying. The people here are so accepting, friendly, and respectful of others. By experiencing other cultures and people I think that we can become more aware of human characteristics and gain a greater respect for different walks of life. I am so glad that I made the decision to come here - being here makes me want to see and experience the rest of the world. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Part 2

Work is picking up at the food bank! We have been discussing future plans and I am really excited for El Banco de los Alimentos and the future that it could have. Miguel is very motivated and has many expectations regarding the new facility. We have been talking about the lessons that we will design while we are here. The topics that we are currently planning on include: sexual safety, menstruation, anatomy, food preparation, nutrition, hand washing, etc. We plan on making powerpoints and other teaching materials that the food bank will be able to use in the future. I think that this is a great idea and hope the bank uses the resources that we provide. I learned more about the process of distributing food at the bank. So, the collaborators who work at the bank are given food at a discounted price. However, when the classes at the new facility begin, they will be able to receive a free bag of food if they attend a class. This next week we will be going out to two different communities t

Week 3 Part 2

Tulum!! This weekend we decided to make the long trip to Tulum (about 3.5 hours). We made it a day trip, which we would not recommend because there is so much to do there. It is a much more touristy place than Merida and had the largest amount of white people I have seen yet. We went to the ruins, snorkeling near a reef, and to a freshwater lagoon. Tulum is definitely a great vacation spot and I hope to be able to go back. It is a cool place because you get to experience Mexican culture (ie. food, decor, atmosphere) as well as Mayan ruins with a Caribbean twist (ie. white sand beaches, clear blue water).

Week 1 Part 1

Posting from Merida, Yucatan! I arrived in Merida on Sunday morning, the 24th of June. I was the first one to arrive out of those living in the eight person dorm room, but, everyone began to arrive around 8pm that night. This week was full of sweat, getting to know each other, and exploring together. We have walked the streets of Merida everyday. The journey from the group house to the main plaza is one that will become very familiar over the next six weeks. Even with the incredible amount of sweat and bug bites that we are all experiencing, it is safe to say that we love Merida. I have been assigned to work in the food bank - El Banco de los Alimentos. We made our first visit to the food bank on Tuesday. I was a bit taken back at first because no one at the food bank can speak any English. Luckily, two other interns work with me and are able to translate. So, I will definitely be learning some Spanish! Yesterday when I was working in the warehouse a woman asked if I speak Spanish.